Emergency Ride Home
Placer County Transportation Planning Agency’s Emergency Ride Home program is your ticket to using public transit, carpooling, vanpooling, biking or walking to work without the fear of being stranded should you need to get home or pick up a sick child. The Emergency Ride Home program provides a voucher for a rental car or taxi to eligible employees who used an alternative mode of transportation to get to work on the day the emergency occurred. Because of various circumstances, such as their carpool partner cannot drive them home, their bus isn’t due to arrive for some time, etc., they are not able to use this same ride to get from work to home and deal with their emergency.
Who is Eligible?
The Emergency Ride Home program is available to those employees who work in Placer County and whose employer or property manager has signed an Emergency Ride Home contract with Placer County Transportation Planning Agency. For current employers/properties enrolled in the program, click here. If you are an employer/property manager and would like to see a sample of PCTPA’s Emergency Ride Home contract, click here. There is no cost to the employer/property manager or employee.
Using an Emergency Ride Home.
In order for an employee to download an Emergency Ride Home voucher for either a
taxi ride home or a rental car they must be registered on the sacregioncommuterclub.com website. They will log-in to the sacregioncommuterclub.com website and click the “Emergency Ride Home” link. Once you check that you understand the conditions of the program, you can then download a voucher.
Taxi or Rental Car?
If your one-way commute mileage is less than 21 miles, you would be provided with a TAXI voucher, which is dated, numbered and unique to you. Once the voucher is printed, it must be used within five (5) hours. This voucher will have the contact information for the taxi provider which you would call. The voucher also provides for a ten-minute stop, if needed, at a school or care center.
If your one-way commute mileage is more than 21 miles, you would be provided with a RENTAL CAR voucher which is dated, numbered and unique to you. Once the voucher is printed, it must be used within five (5) hours. This voucher will have the contact information for Enterprise Rent-A-Car which you would call. Enterprise provides for a pick-up and delivery service. The car must be returned within 24 hours with the fuel level the same as when you rented the car. You may be required to provide a credit card to secure this service.
What’s a Valid Emergency?
PCTPA will cover the entire cost for a taxi or rental car, up to 6 times a year, under the following circumstances:
- An Immediate family member has an emergency.
- A serious problem arises at your child’s school or daycare.
- Fire or burglary damages to your home.
- You are sick and can’t wait for your normal ride home.
- Your carpool or vanpool partner has an emergency and you have no way to get home.
- Unscheduled, supervisor-approved overtime.
- Your commute bicycle broke down today and cannot be repaired at your worksite.
- Unexpected severe weather is preventing you from cycling or waling home after work today.
You may NOT use the Emergency Ride Home program for the following reasons:
- Personal errands
- Medical or dental appointments
- Building evacuations
- Business travel
- Job related injuries
- Natural disasters (floods)
- Transit problems (the transit provider is responsible for providing another bus or train)
- Missed bus, carpool or vanpool ride home
- Other reasons deemed invalid by program administrator