Bucks for Bikes is an annual program intended to reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality in the Placer County region by providing an incentive for the purchase of a new commute bicycle and if necessary, bicycle helmet, light, lock and/or rack/basket. This program is made possible by the Placer County Transportation Planning Agency and the City of Roseville.
Applications must be received no later than March 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM and no earlier than January 29, 2014.
After successfully submitting an application, should your application be funded, the subsidy will be reimbursed up to 50% of the cost of the bicycle and, if necessary, bicycle helmet, light, lock, and/or rack/basket as per the original quote provided or the actual costs incurred, whichever is lower and shall not exceed $200.
Please take the following steps to ensure that your application is complete:
Review the Bucks for Bikes Policies and Guidelines.
- Understand that you must be 18 years of age or older, and employed or attend school within the County of Placer (includes Auburn, Colfax, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin, Roseville, and Placer County.)
- Obtain a quote from a store/bike shop in Placer Couty for a NEW bicycle. A bicycle helmet, light, lock, and/or rack/basket may be included as part of the quote, however, accessories alone will not be considered eligible under the Bucks for Bikes subsidy program. No third party or online purchases will be accepted (i.e. eBay, Craigslist, etc.).
- THIS IS NOT A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED APPLICATION PROCESS.
- Applicants may purchase a bike during the application period; however, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT APPLICANTS WILL BE GRANTED A SUBSIDY if they do so.
- Applicants may apply for a Bucks for Bikes subsidy through an online application or may download the application (PDF) for completion and submittal via fax to (530) 823-4036, email: saaron [at] pctpa [dot] net, or mail to:
Placer County Transportation Planning Agency
299 Nevada Street
Auburn, CA 95603
Applications, including quotes must be received no later than March 10, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. No postmarks will be accepted.
Your application and quote will be reviewed by a bicycle subsidy review committee and you will be notified if you are approved for the subsidy funds no later than March 28, 2014. If your application is approved, you will be required to:
- Purchase your bicycle and if needed, bicycle helmet, light, lock, and/or rack/basket no later than April 30, 2014.
- Provide us with an original receipt for your bicycle and if purchased, your bicycle helmet, light, lock, and/or rack/basket. This receipt will be returned to you with your subsidy check which will be payable to you, the applicant. Subsidies will be reimbursed based on the original quote provided or the actual costs incurred, whichever is lower. Taxes will not be considered as part of the reimbursement.
- Attend a FREE cycling clinic. Contact Scott Aaron at saaron [at] pctpa [dot] net or Sue Schooley at sschooley [at] roseville [dot] ca [dot] us, to RSVP or find out if more clinics are available.
- Register and log your miles in May through the region’s Bike Month website, MayIsBikeMonth.com.
Bicycling can be a practical, cost effective, and healthy way to get to work and run errands. The Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) and the City of Roseville encourage those who live and work in Placer County and are interested in using bicycling as an alternative to driving alone apply for the Bucks for Bikes program.