Alternative Transportation Programs

Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) is your resource for information about alternative transportation services in Placer County.  Whether you’re a commuter interested in finding a carpool partner, a resident interested in figuring out local public transit services, or a family wanting to take the Capitol Corridor train to the Bay Area, we can help you find the information you need.

Through its Congestion Management Program (CMP), PCTPA promotes the use of alternative transportation modes including carpooling, vanpooling, telecommuting, biking, taking public transit, riding the train, or walking.Several programs, incentives, and resources are made available through the CMP that aim to get people out of their single occupancy vehicles with the goal of improving air quality and reducing traffic congestion in Placer County.Below is a list of year round and seasonal programs and services as well as a list of resources that can get you on the path to finding an alternative transportation option that works for you.

Year Round Programs & Services

Carpool or Vanpool

If you’re looking to find a carpool partner or a vanpool, the Commuter Club is a great place to start.  Register and use the Commuter Club rideshare tool to find a carpool match with people who live and work in the same area as you.  Want to see about available vanpools? Once you’re registered, you can view the current vanpool listings in your area or start a new vanpool. Registration is free, and takes about two minutes.  Your personal address is not shared with other users.

Emergency Ride Home

If taking public transit, carpooling, vanpooling, biking or walking to work are options for you, yet you are concerned about being stranded should an emergency arise, PCTPA offers an Emergency Ride Home program if you work in Placer County.  This program provides a voucher for rental car or taxi ride home to eligible employees who use an alternative mode of transportation on the day an emergency occurs.  Eligible employees can download a voucher at


With multiple public transit operators in Placer County, your resource for transit connections in South Placer County begins with South Placer Transit Information.  This is where Placer County Transit, Roseville Transit, Auburn Transit, and Lincoln Transit provide links to their respective websites and show you how to connect between the different service providers.  Need help figuring out how to plan your trip using transit in Placer County? Call 745-7560. More information about each public transit service provider can be found on PCTPA’s transit providers page.

Transit Ambassador Program

If you or someone you know needs some one-on-one assistance with navigating the local fixed-route transit services (Auburn Transit, Lincoln Transit, Placer County Transit and Roseville Transit), a Transit Ambassador can help.  And if you are interested in becoming a transit ambassador yourself, it is a great opportunity to give back to your community. Contact the program administrator by email at or by calling (916) 746-1289.

Specialized Transportation

For seniors, individuals with disabilities, and those with children under six years of age who have unique circumstances which prevent them from using public transit, the Western Placer Consolidated Transportation Services Agency (WPCTSA) provides transportation options that support health and quality of life services including:

WPCTSA provides funding for the Transit Ambassador Program and South Placer Transportation Call Center, and Roseville Transit has been designated as the operator for these programs.  The WPCTSA also operates the Retired Dial-a-Ride Vehicle Program (link?)

Seasonal Programs

The following seasonal alternative transportation programs are available through the Placer County Transportation Planning Agency’s Congestion Management Program:

Bucks for Bikes

If you are employed in Placer County, you could be eligible for up to $200 toward a new commute bicycle of your choice.

Spare the Air for Bucks

The Spare the Air for Bucks program awards cash and prizes to individuals who use alternative transportation modes during the summer months when air quality is poor. Monthly prizes include either $100 cash, $25 gift certificates to or Target, or both during July and August.  Additional prize drawing are held for those who use alternative transportation modes on designated Spare the Air days.

Summer Youth Bus Pass

Kids in south Placer County can get all around town with the Summer Youth Bus Pass. The $10 pass is available to kids in elementary through high school, and is good for unlimited rides on Auburn Transit, Lincoln Transit, Placer County Transit, and Roseville Transit.

Way to Go!

The Way to Go Program is a road sense project that fosters safer, healthier travel alternatives for elementary middle, and high school students. The goal of the Way to Go Program is to encourage and enable more students and their parents to walk, bike, carpool, or take public transportation.

Alternative Transportation Newsletter

If you would would like to receive the PCTPA Alternative Transportation newsletter, please submit your contact information below.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.