Alternative Transportation Programs

Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) is your resource for information about alternative transportation services in Placer County.  Whether you’re a commuter interested in finding a carpool partner, a resident interested in figuring out local public transit services, or a family wanting to take the Capitol Corridor train to the Bay Area, we can help you find the information you need.

Through its Congestion Management Program (CMP), PCTPA promotes the use of alternative transportation modes including carpooling, vanpooling, telecommuting, biking, taking public transit, riding the train, or walking. Several programs, incentives, and resources are made available through the CMP that aim to get people out of their single occupancy vehicles with the goal of improving air quality and reducing traffic congestion in Placer County. Below is a list of year round and seasonal programs and services as well as a list of resources that can get you on the path to finding an alternative transportation option that works for you.

Year Round Programs & Services

Carpool or Vanpool

If you’re looking to find a carpool partner or a vanpool, the Commuter Club is a great place to start.  Register and use the Commuter Club rideshare tool to find a carpool match with people who live and work in the same area as you.  Want to see about available vanpools? Once you’re registered, you can view the current vanpool listings in your area or start a new vanpool. Registration is free, and takes about two minutes.  Your personal address is not shared with other users.


With multiple public transit operators in Placer County, your resource for transit connections in South Placer County begins with South Placer Transit Information.  This is where Placer County Transit, Roseville Transit, Auburn Transit, and Lincoln Transit provide links to their respective websites and show you how to connect between the different service providers.  Need help figuring out how to plan your trip using transit in Placer County? Call 745-7560. More information about each public transit service provider can be found on PCTPA’s transit providers page.

Transit Ambassador Program

If you or someone you know needs some one-on-one assistance with navigating the local fixed-route transit services (Auburn Transit, Lincoln Transit, Placer County Transit and Roseville Transit), a Transit Ambassador can help.  And if you are interested in becoming a transit ambassador yourself, it is a great opportunity to give back to your community. Contact the program administrator by email at or by calling (916) 746-1289.

Specialized Transportation

For seniors, individuals with disabilities, and those with children under six years of age who have unique circumstances which prevent them from using public transit, the Western Placer Consolidated Transportation Services Agency (WPCTSA) provides transportation options that support health and quality of life services including the Placer Rides program.

Administered by Seniors First, Placer Rides consists of both a volunteer driver reimbursement and last resort ride program, which collectively provide services to eligible individuals who qualify. Eligible individuals must be residents of Placer County who qualify as any one or more of the following groups:

    • Seniors (55+),
    • Individuals with Disabilities, and/or
    • Low-income

These individuals also must have difficulty using other forms of available public transit due to a lack of public transit service to their home and/or destination, no public dial-a-ride and/or demand response service available to them, the inability to pay public transit fare, and/or a difficulty in utilizing fixed-route transit services provided in their area. For more information regarding Placer Rides, please visit the Seniors First Placer Rides program website.

WPCTSA provides funding for the Transit Ambassador Program and South Placer Transportation Call Center, and Roseville Transit has been designated as the operator for these programs.